Friday, February 03, 2006

Relationship Rebound

Rule 1: Surround yourself with your family and closest friends
This is without a doubt, the most important thing you can do. Your family and the friendships you have made over the years are the reason why you get up in the morning and thank whoever put you on this planet. Well that’s how I see it at least. During that first week, I honestly cried on the phone with my sister and good friend who had gone through a break-up similar to mine. And yeah, if you’re a guy, you can cry during this period - it’s an unspoken guy-rule. It is necessary that you stick to these people and keep in contact with them, because without them, this struggle is going to be a hell of a lot harder.
Rule 2: Make goals and get in shape
For me, I had the opportunity to play sports at a collegiate level. Coming out of high school, I had to decide between soccer and volleyball, with volleyball winning out in the end. The point of this is that I used to be in the best shape of my life, playing at 6’1”, 185lbs and body-fat under 10%. But after realizing that volleyball wouldn’t take me anywhere, and deciding to enjoy the social life that I had grown accustomed to, my weight fluctuated all the way to 230lbs. when my ex decided to end things. I was a fat kid who couldn’t run ¼ mile, much less a flight of stairs. However, after those initial two weeks, I was determined to get back into shape, no matter how badly I wanted to quit. So, I began to run and workout, and run and run. I got to a point during my third week of running, where I actually threw up because I pushed myself to that limit. Now I have never been much of a runner, and my initial progress was terrible to put it mildly, but you need to stick with it and the results will come. Just remember who put you in this position to fuel that fire inside your stomach – that will push you to that extra ½-mile and that step closer to your ultimate goal. As for lifting weights, if you have never gone to a gym before, don’t be discouraged by the juice-monkeys around you. Just keep telling yourself, “size matters…where it counts”. Get yourself a tour of the gym’s facilities and learn what muscle each machine focuses on and how you use it. As well, get the trainer to provide you with a basic workout plan.

It`s always hard.....mostly because it remais the lonliness and sadness for so long...I have been trough some brak ups also...as you must have done too..but in the end we all survive to start with the game all over again.....